- Intellectual Property, in Routledge Companion to Libertarianism (forthcoming 2021).
- The U.S. Patent System was (and Is) a Rule-of-Capture Property Rights Regime, 100 Boston University Law Review Online 19 (2020) (invited response essay to Dotan Oliar & James Y. Stern, Right on Time: First Possession in Property and Intellectual Property, 99 B.U. L. Rev. 395 (2019)).
- Ayn Rand’s Theory of Rights: An Exposition and Response to Critics, in Foundations of a Free Society: Reflections on Ayn Rand’s Political Philosophy (Greg Salmieri and Robert Mayhew eds., 2019) (with Fred D. Miller, Jr.).
- The Telegraph, in A History of Intellectual Property in 50 Objects (Cambridge University Press, 2019).
- Patents as Commercial Assets in Political, Legal, and Social Context, 51 Tulsa Law Review 453 (2016) (reviewing Christopher Beauchamp, Invented by Law: Alexander Graham Bell and the Patent That Changed America, Harvard Univ. Press, 2015) (invited review essay).
- Political Theory: A Radical for Capitalism, in A Companion to Ayn Rand, eds. Allan Gotthelf and Gregory Salmieri (Wiley-Blackwell, 2016) (with Fred D. Miller, Jr.).
- Common Ground: How Intellectual Property Unites Creators and Innovators, 22 George Mason University Law Review 801 (2015) (with Mark Schultz).
- Why History Matters in the Patentable Subject Matter Debate, 64 Florida Law Review Forum 23 (2013) (response essay to Michael Risch’s article, America’s First Patents).
- Intellectual Property and Property Rights, in Intellectual Property and Property Rights, ed. Adam Mossoff (Edward Elgar, 2013).
- Saving Locke from Marx: The Labor Theory of Value in Intellectual Property Theory, in Natural Rights Individualism and Progressivism in American Political Theory, eds. Ellen Frankel Paul, Fred D. Miller, Jr. and Jeffrey Paul (Cambridge University Press, 2012).
- Commercializing Property Rights in Inventions: Lessons for Modern Patent Theory from Classic Patent Doctrine, in Competition Policy and Patent Law under Uncertainty: Regulating Innovation, Geoffrey Manne & Joshua Wright eds. (Cambridge University Press, 2011).
- Review Essay: B. Zorina Khan, The Democratization of Invention: Patents and Copyrights in American Economic Development, 1790-1920, 25 Law and History Review 668 (2007).
- Is Copyright Property?, 42 San Diego Law Review 29 (2005).
- Natural Law, in Berkshire Encyclopedia of World History (2005).
- The Death of Poletown: The Future of Eminent Domain and Urban Development After County of Wayne v. Hathcock, 2004 Michigan State Law Review 837.
- Review Essay: Kristie M. McClure, Judging Rights: Lockean Politics and the Limits of Consent, Review of Metaphysics (March 2000).
- Review Essay: Randy Barnett, Structure of Liberty: Justice and the Rule of Law, Review of Metaphysics (December 1999).
- Review Essay: Michel Rosenfeld, Just Interpretations: Law between Ethics and Politics, Review of Metaphysics (September 1999).
Miscellaneous Scholarly Publications
- Connected Cars and Technological Innovation: The Right Policy for the European Union and the United States, 56 Les Nouvelles 206 (2021) (with Urška Petrovcic).
- Five Years of PTAB Proceedings Show a Flawed and Biased Administrative Tribunal, IAM Magazine (Nov./Dec. 2017) (with David Lund).
- Patents are Property Rights, 64 The Freeman 24 (June 2013).
- Healthcare Reform’s Impact on Drug Patents, 12 Engage 20 (September 2011).
- Intellectual Property: American Exceptionalism or International Harmonization?, 3 NYU Journal of Law & Liberty 448, 450-55 (2008).
- Intellectual Property, the Right to Health, and Human Rights, 2006 University of Illinois Journal of Law, Technology & Policy 63.